The History of the Building
It started out as a simple bungalow structure made out of wood in 1888. Around the year 1929, it was improved upon with the addition of brick and mortar as it became an official british residence. During the Second World War (1942-1945), it was then used as the administrative headquarters of the Japanese Army during their occupation of Malaysia. Then, in 1948, this historic building was officially reconditioned and renovated into a royal palace named Istana Kota Beram, of which it remained so until 1976 when it was reconditioned one final time into the Sultan Abu Bakar Museum as it is known today.
The Building’s Architecture
If we were to once again return and remember the series of events that transpired and traversed the walls of this historic building, there is no denying the functional and structural significance of the internal space as it changed with time. Based on the brief chronology above; from a humble bungalow to an official british residence to the administrative headquarters of the Japanese Army to a royal palace and finally to a state museum, It can be surmized that the continuity of the functional uniqueness of the building's interior spaces is one of the best examples within the country and within Pahang specifically. Especially when one talks about adaptive reusable architecture. As defined, adaptive reusable architecture refers to the process of reusing the basic site or building structure of an old building and converting it into a structure that fits a completely different purpose than the one originally meant for the building. Most old buildings that have aesthetic and historical heritage which are usually seen as unfavourable in terms of following changing trends will most likely be restored to its original glory and repurposed for another more suitable function. Adaptive reuse is also one of the most important branches in the field of architecture that puts more emphasis on conservation and preservation of heritage buildings.